From HCUP (Healthcare Cost & Utility Project) e-News:
Q: How do I link the HCUP databases with the American Hospital Association (AHA) Survey Data using the AHA Linkage File?
- Download the HCUP American Hospital Association (AHA) Linkage Files for your state databases by accessing the AHA Linkage Files page on HCUP-US and reference the header, “How Can Users Obtain HCUP AHA Linkage Files?“
- Merge your state database with AHA Linkage File by the element HOSPID, the HCUP hospital identifier.
- Merge the newly merged database created in step 2 with the AHA Annual Survey database by the element AHAID. AHAID contains the 7 digits hospital identifier used on the AHA Annual Survey database.
- Merge the NIS or KID Core File with the NIS or KID Hospital Weights File by HOSPID.
- Merge the newly merged database created in step 1 with the AHA Annual Survey database by AHAID.
Please note that the availability of AHAID in the Hospital Weights Files varies depending on state, as some states restrict the release of the element. Without AHAID, data in the NIS and KID cannot be linked to any data for hospitals included in the AHA Annual Survey database. Refer to Table 2 in the documents Introduction to the NIS, 2009 and Introduction to the KID, 2009 for a list of states restricting AHAID for the 2009 NIS and KID.
The Nationwide Emergency Department Sample (NEDS) cannot be merged with the AHA Annual Survey database.